Monday, September 3, 2012

The View From My Window

Wow....I am in Uganda!!! This is crazy! I am SO excited to be here and can't wait to see what God does. While on the plane traveling here I was looking out my window, zoning out, observing the evening sky, but all of a sudden I felt like God was telling me to look out my window from a different angle. I sat up in my seat and looked down, this new angle revealed something beautiful, a sunset, vibrant and glorious. An incredible sight when seen from above. I was amazed, it was a vibrant red against the dark sky. As I sat and took in the beautiful sight, God began to use that sunset to teach me something.
For so long I have been looking out my window in a certain way. I have seen the "sky" but not in all that it could be, not in its full beauty. Being here in Uganda is like me sitting up and getting to see the view from a different angle, an alternate perspective, and you know what?? It's beautiful. This first day blew my away by, the culture, the welcoming hearts of the people, and by this countrys amazing beauty.
One thing that began to change my "view" today was when we visited the Loving Hearts Orphanage that I will be staying in for my last month. The kids were all under the age of three. I held a little baby boy named Steven who was so cute. All the babies were pretty calm, but defintely desperate for attention and touch. When one of the ladies who worked there brought in a bucket full of bottles though the kids began to cry and get restless. They saw their food and couldn't wait. It broke my heart when I got Steven's bottle and began to feed him because he clung to it for dear life, it was as if he was terriffied it would be taken away. I have never seen a baby drink a bottle as fast as he did, he was so hungry, and his poor stomach was disteneded showing signs that he was malnourished. After he finished his bottle (so about one minute) he began to cry and try and shake out any last drop. He wanted more, he was still hungry, but I didnt have anything to give him and it broke my heart. God is teaching me to learn to be satisfied with what I have. To not take things like the feeling of fullness for granted. I have been so blessed, and to see this sweet child not having enough food to fill him up broke me down. All I could do in that moment was pray, pray that God would somehow satisfy him in a way his world couldn't. I ask you be praying that for him too, and all the other kids here. God is good..Always. I can't wait to see what else he shows me as he continues to offer me new angles to see the world, and stretch my window. Blessing to all of you!

1 comment:

  1. Melana, thanks for sharing a beautiful word portrait of what you experienced. I am excited to see Uganda through your eyes, and see what God continues to show you. I love you. God Bless your incredible adventure!!

    ReplyDelete