Tuesday, September 11, 2012

10 days in!

      Well, I have a big bruise on my arm. I wish I was in the U.S. only so that I would be asked, "What's that bruise from?"
      Then I could say, "Oh no big deal I just got punched by an angry monkey." Thats exactly what happened and I have never been more proud of a bruise in my life.
     On a different note, this last week has been absolutely amazing. God has been teaching me so much about life, his creation, and myself.
      One of the Ugandan guys we were working alongside made a point this week that stuck with me. He talked about how no matter where we live in the world we all love and serve the same God. How he is just as much the God of Uganda as he is Portland. He is a big God though, one that in this life we can never fully understand or know. The cool thing when you travel to a new place, see a different culture, and interact with people so different from yourself, yet they are worshipping the very same God you love, is that piece by piece you begin to get a fuller picture of who God is. Wow is this true. I have learned alot this week about the Lord by just interacting with the people here.
      My nightly ritual is securely tucking my net under my mattress, curling up tight in a cozy blanket, putting on my headlamp, and then journaling about the day. It has been a great way to unwind. Sometimes in the midst of my journaling though I stop and listen to the African night. My two favotire noises are the crickets because they are so loud it almost seems fake, and the rain because it pours here to the point you can hardly hear voices over its clatter. I love it.
        I spent the last week in Arua which is much more rural then where I will be staying my last month. Most everyone lives in mud huts, and most the kids run around naked. We spent three days doing door to door evangelism. It was me, one other Ugandan guy, and an interpretter. All afternoon we would go from hut to hut telling people about Jesus. This was way outside my comfort zone but man was it awesome to see God work. He did some pretty amazing things over the course of those three days. It was amazing to get to share hope with a people who so desperately need it, and my prayer of getting to pray with someone as they accepted the Lord was answered above and beyond this week.
            As for today we left Arua and came to an AMAZING resort where we are staying the night. We went on a Safari today and it was so awesome!!! We got to see a full grown male lion with a huge mane up close and personal. The coolest part is that he was one of only two in the whole entire park......and this game park is HUGEEE! God is good.
            Well anyway I am off to bed! Tomorrow we wake up early and go on a boat safari down the Nile. I am pretty stoked! Then on Thursday I will arrive at loving hearts orphanage in Kampala where we will be for the next month. I can't wait to get to see the kiddos again.
            Love and miss you all! Thanks so much for keeping me in your prayers! Nighty night!

No comments:

Post a Comment